herald

Wednesday 26 April 2017

Schoolboy accused of raping girl (14) in park

(Stock photo)
(Stock photo)

A boy is facing trial accused of raping a young girl at a park in Dublin earlier this year when he was 14.

Now aged 15, appeared before Dublin Children's Court yesterday after he was charged in the presence of his mother at a south Dublin garda station.

The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, "was cautioned and the arrest was explained to him in ordinary language at which he confirmed he understood", Judge John O'Connor was told.

In reply to the charge, the boy said "No comment" before he was given a copy of the charge sheet and taken to the court.

A detective garda sergeant confirmed that the case "will go forward on indictment". This means the youth will be tried before a judge and jury at the Central Criminal Court.

curfew

Gardai asked for bail to be imposed.

The judge told the boy he must obey a 10pm to 7am curfew and warned that he cannot have contact directly or indirectly with witnesses or the 14-year-old girl he is accused of raping.

He said this included calling, texting, internet contact or through another person.

The boy quietly said "Yes" when asked if he understood that the consequences of breaking the bail would result in him being remanded in custody.

The teenager, who has not yet indicated how he will plead, was ordered to appear again on a date next month when it is expected he will be served with a book of evidence and returned for trial.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News