A CLOSE pal of Eamon 'The Don' Dunne bombarded the phones of gang members involved in a botched cash-in-transit robbery, it has emerged. Six men have now been convicted for their part in the failed heist, which took place in November 2007.
Ballymun criminal Joe Warren (30) became the sixth man to be convicted for his role in the cash van conspiracy after a dramatic trial that ended on Wednesday evening.
During the trial, it emerged that Mark Buckley from Cabra, who is nicknamed 'Bucko', desperately tried to make contact with some of the gang members on the morning of the attempted heist.
Buckley was one of Dunne's best friends and, like Warren, was a pallbearer at The Don's funeral.
The jury was told that a number saved as 'Bucko' was found in the phonebooks of Warren's and Michael 'Chino' Ryan's mobile phones.
Chino has almost finished a four-year sentence for his role in the conspiracy.
It emerged that there were 27 calls or missed calls on November 2, 2007 -- between 6.30am and minutes before the six men were arrested at about 9.50am -- between Bucko's number and Warren's phone, Alan 'Fatpuss' Bradley's phone and Jeffrey Morrow's phone
Fatpuss Bradley and Morrow are also serving jail sentences in relation to their roles in the conspiracy.
The trial heard that that 16 calls were made from Bucko's phone to Joe Warren's and Alan Bradley's phone between 10.08 and 10.24 that morning after the men had been arrested.
One call was to Warren's phone and the other 15 were to Fatpuss.
None of these calls was answered because the criminals had been arrested by the Organised Crime Unit after a detailed operation led by Det Supt Dominic Hayes.
Mark Buckley was never a suspect in relation to the conspiracy to steal cash from Chubb Ireland at Tesco supermarket on the Shackleton Road in Celbridge on November 2, 2007.
But in a bizarre development Bucko's mother, Martina, ended up playing a role in the sentencing hearing of Fatpuss and his brother Wayne, who were sentenced to nine years with two suspended and seven years with 18 months suspended respectively after they pleaded guilty to the same offence.
Outreach worker Martina Buckley gave evidence on behalf of Wayne, saying she worked with him when he was an 'at-risk' youth. Ms Buckley said Wayne went to a special-needs school as a child, but agreed that he knew the difference between right and wrong.
She said he came to her after the cash-van raid and was "distressed, upset and deeply remorseful".
She told the court that she had advised him to see a psychiatrist.
But Judge Tony Hunt criticised the evidence given on behalf of Wayne Bradley by Miss Buckley.
He questioned the accuracy of the information presented by the witness and rejected suggestions that Wayne had special needs and had been pressured into taking part in the crime.