Predator Murphy held over new abductions
Gardai were continuing to question one of Ireland's most notorious predators last night after his dramatic arrest for the false imprisonment of two women in Dublin.
Clondalkin criminal Philip Murphy (35) was released from Arbour Hill less than four weeks ago after he received a 10-year sentence in 2009 for kidnapping a woman a year earlier.
It is now alleged that Murphy was behind two incidents of false imprisonment of two women since his release from jail last month.
Murphy was being held at Store Street Garda Station last night after being arrested outside a hostel on Gardiner Street in Dublin's north inner-city yesterday morning.
It is understood he is being questioned about alleged attempts to abduct women in the Drumcondra area.
His period of extension was extended last night as gardai continued to question him.
Our exclusive photos show Murphy standing outside his accommodation in the city centre on Wednesday morning, talking on a mobile phone.
In another image, he is seen giving an unsuspecting male tourist directions.
Murphy has been staying in various locations in the capital and Co Wicklow since he slipped out of Arbour Hill Prison on February 24.
"The arrest of Murphy is highly significant. He is classified as one of the most dangerous offenders in the country," a source said last night.
He was jailed following his conviction for falsely imprisoning a Polish woman in Clondalkin on June 7, 2008.
Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told he was nominated as a suspect on the basis of his modus operandi.
Judge Frank O'Donnell said that during the trial it had been put to Murphy, who denied the charges, that he had been "scouring the countryside looking for a victim", but noted that he could only deal with the evidence before him.
He imposed a 10-year sentence for the false imprisonment offence and a three-year sentence for producing a knife, to run concurrently.
Then Det Insp Peter O'Boyle told the court that the woman was waiting at a bus stop at 6.30am to go to work when a car pulled up.
The driver offered to give her a lift, but at first she refused. He returned a short time later and again offered to give her a lift. The woman got into the car and they drove off, chatting normally.
She asked the man to turn right towards her workplace, but he told her he had to get petrol.
She asked to get out of the car, but he produced a craft knife and told her to be quiet or he would cut her.
The woman pleaded with him and believed she was going to be raped or killed.
"The fear will never leave me," she said in a statement.
Det Insp O'Boyle said the woman tried to jump out of the moving car but was restrained by the seatbelts.
She eventually released the belt and when the car stopped she fled from it towards her work.
Murphy was the chief suspect in a similar incident that happened in 2008.
He was questioned in connection with an attempted abduction of another central European woman, but there was not enough evidence to charge him.
The nationality of Murphy's latest alleged victims has not been disclosed, but it also previously emerged that he is a suspect for a failed abduction in Navan, Co Meath, earlier this month.
After his release from prison, a source said gardai would have to closely monitor Murphy - who previously sliced a taxi driver's neck with a bottle and left him with life-threatening injuries - because of his violent past.
Despite his conviction, he was not officially monitored by gardai because he is not registered as a sex offender.