herald

Thursday 8 December 2016

Plans for 381 homes in St Anne's Park blocked after a 'clerical error'

Developer Greg Kavanagh
Developer Greg Kavanagh

A controversial plan for the development of almost 400 homes next to a popular park in Raheny has encountered a setback after the application was blocked by Dublin City Council.

Developer Greg Kavanagh must now re-apply for permission to build 107 houses and 274 apartments at a site adjacent to St Anne's Park following a "clerical error" regarding the name of his company, 'Crekav Landbank Investments Ltd'.

The application, which was submitted under the incorrect company name, 'Crekav Landbank Development Ltd', was deemed invalid and Mr Kavanagh must start the process again, which will set back his plans by at least two months.

"The applicant has indicated its intention to resubmit the application next week and the new application will deal with the issue that caused the invalidation," read a response by Dublin City Council (DCC) to a query from the Herald.

"The decision on any new application pertaining to this site will be due eight weeks from the date it is received."

The latest development comes following strong opposition from local residents to the building plans, with complaints that the apartment blocks will be too high and result in "over-development" of the site.

The 15-acre plot, which is adjacent to St Paul's School on Sybil Hill Road, was purchased earlier this year by Mr Kavanagh.

The move caused friction with local sports clubs who were concerned that they would lose their playing facilities.

Plans include two all-weather sports facilities and it is expected that part of the developer contribution paid to DCC will be reinvested in St Anne's Park to improve playing facilities there.

A five-week period for submissions regarding this application will run from the date of its lodgement.

Unhappy

Fianna Fail councillor Sean Haughey said that there was a significant number of people unhappy with the plans.

"The area is a green lung for the city and I think it would be an awful shame to lose it," he told the Herald.

A spokesperson for the developer said: "There was an inaccuracy in the applicant name on our planning application form.

"We will correct this and resubmit the application within the next week."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News