Personal bank info was put on council website
A local council has stopped allowing sensitive financial and personal details of planning applicants to be uploaded on to its public website.
Carlow County Council's website contained details from applicants' bank accounts, birth certificates and tax returns.
County manager Tom Barry conceded sensitive information of people making planning applications ended up online and open to public scrutiny.
One of the applicants expressed fears he could become the victim of identity theft because of the practice.
The council confirmed the planning applications were not screened before being posted online. But a spokeswoman for the council told the Herald that the council has now stopped the practice.
"Personal details in documents being placed online are now being blanked out. We undertook this new approach from January 3," said the spokeswoman.
Mr Barry had earlier revealed the council's planning department outsources the scanning of all applications and did not screen the information.
He said the council had tried to discourage people from including sensitive information with their applications.
The applicants sent in personal details when seeking to prove where they are from.
People submitted a variety of personal information to prove their connection with a particular area. The county manager believed that many applications containing sensitive personal information had been posted on the website.
The council had continued to advise people to be cautious about including information in applications as these are viewed by the public because they become public documents.