'People are going to resist if another eviction attempt is made' - Grangegorman squatter 'to stay, even against court's wishes'
ONE of the occupants of a disputed development site on Dublin's northside has vowed to resist eviction attempts even if a receiver's legal action is successful.
A High Court application by receiver Luke Charleton for an injunction preventing interference with him taking possession of a number of properties in Grangegorman has adjourned for 24 hours.
Mr Charlton claims a large number people on Monday blockaded efforts to take control of the properties at Lower Grangegorman and North Brunswick Street.
One of the occupants, Shane O'Brien - who was in court yesterday - told the Herald: "People are going to resist if another eviction attempt is made."
He said they would use "non-violent direct action" to stay on the site.
The court application was taken against 'Persons Unknown', two of whom appeared before the court - Mr O'Brien and another man who said his name is James Sutherland.
Mr O'Brien told the court he was seeking an adjournment so they could get legal advice and also apply for free legal aid. He said they had approached a solicitor who said he was not available to come to court today.
Graham O'Doherty, solicitor for the receiver, said his client wished to assert his right of entitlement to the properties and as the 'Persons Unknown' were now before the court it was up to them to state their position regardless of legal representation.
While papers had only been served on the defendants yesterday, this matter had been going on for a year and a half, the solicitor said.
Mr Justice Paul Gilligan said given papers were only served yesterday, he would put the matter back for 24 hours to enable the defendants seek representation.