herald

Thursday 19 October 2017

Pensioner loses €60k fall claim

An 87-year-old Dublin man, who fractured his pelvis after falling while a patient in St James' Hospital, has lost a €60,000 damages claim for negligence against the hospital.

Judge Jacqueline Linnane said there was nothing the hospital could have done to prevent Joseph Hudson, who resides at Padre Pio Nursing Home, Cappaghmore Estate, Clondalkin, Dublin, from falling while he walked from his bed to the toilet area.

Dismissing Mr Hudson's claim, she said the incident had been very distressing for Mr Hudson's family but the hospital had properly assessed him as a high "fall risk", following his admission to the 28-bed ward in November 2012.

Suspect 'had Blair address'

A MAN accused of plotting a terrorist attack in Britain had former PM Tony Blair's address in his car, a court heard.

Erol Incedal, a 26-year-old Londoner, is accused of preparing a terrorist act and possessing bomb-making instructions. He denies the charges.

A second suspect arrested with Incedal, Mounir Rarmoul-Bouhadjar, has pleaded guilty to possessing a document entitled "bomb making" and will be sentenced at the end of the trial.

Catalonia cancels poll

The leader of Spain's Catalonia region called off an independence vote but said an unofficial poll will take place next month to gauge secessionist sentiment.

Artur Mas was forced to cancel the November 9 referendum and replace it with a symbolic one on the same day after Spain's government challenged the referendum in the country's Constitutional Court.

Cliff Richard (75) to tour

Cliff Richard has announced he is to perform a UK tour to celebrate his 75th birthday, weeks after he was questioned about claims of an alleged historical sex assault.

The veteran pop star, who continues to enjoy the loyal support of a huge number of fans, is lining up shows beginning next September, including five nights at London's Royal Albert Hall.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News