herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Pensioner died after his jumper caught fire

An elderly man died when he suffered extensive burns after his jumper caught fire when he leaned over his gas cooker, an inquest heard.

Stanislaus Gilligan (75) from Lismore Road in Crumlin, Dublin 12, died at St James's Hospital on September 10 last year, four days after he suffered severe burns to his upper body in the incident.

Dublin Coroner's Court heard that Mr Gilligan, who lived alone, raised the alarm immediately and when the ambulance arrived at the scene he was sitting in the living room of his home wearing a jacket but no shirt.

Paramedic Stephen Wilson said burns where immediately visible to the head and chest.

Mr Gilligan, a retired printer, was fully conscious following the incident and told medics that his jumper had caught fire as he leaned over the gas cooker. The post-mortem found that he died as a result of multi-organ failure.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News