herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Peaches had a syringe in sweet box next to her bed

Peaches Geldof. Photo: Stefan Rousseau/PA
Peaches Geldof. Photo: Stefan Rousseau/PA

Peaches Geldof died of a heroin overdose after losing her battle against addiction to the Class A drug, an inquest heard.

The 25-year-old journalist, model and television presenter had been taking the substitute drug methadone in the two-and-a-half years before she died.

But by February this year, the mother of two had started using again, her musician husband Tom Cohen told the inquest in Gravesend, Kent.

Mr Cohen found her slumped on a bed in a spare room at their home in Wrotham, Kent, last April 7.

Police later found 6.9g of "importation quality" heroin stashed in a black cloth bag inside a cupboard over a bedroom door with a purity of 61pc, worth between £350 and £550 (€443 and €696).

They also discovered a syringe containing residue of heroin inside a sweet box next to the bed, and other drugs paraphernalia including burnt spoons, syringes and knotted tights throughout the property.

Coroner Roger Hatch said Ms Geldof's death had been "drugs-related".

He told the hearing that, although she had struggled to come off methadone, by November last year Ms Geldof was found to be free of heroin and reducing her methadone.

"It's said that the death of Peaches Geldof-Cohen is history repeating itself, but this is not entirely so," he said.

"By November last year she had ceased to take heroin as a result of the considerable treatment and counselling that she had received. This was a significant achievement for her but, for reasons we will never know, prior to her death she returned to taking heroin, with the fatal consequences that we have heard here today.

"I therefore find that the death of Peaches Geldof was drug-related and I express my sympathy to her family."

Her last known movements included posting a picture of herself with her mother Paula Yates on social networking site Instagram with the comment "me and my mum". Yates was also found dead from a heroin overdose in September 2000.

Pathologist Peter Jerreat said that evidence of injections had been found on Ms Geldof's body during a post mortem examination carried out on April 9.

There were puncture marks on her elbow and left hand and she had died of an "opiate intoxication" due to a "fatal level of heroin in the body", the pathologist found.

TERRY PRONE: PAGE 15

Promoted articles

Entertainment News