Parents send archbishop an SOS - Save Our School
Concerned parents of children in a Dublin national school that is due to close next September have pleaded with Archbishop Diarmuid Martin to reverse the decision.
Three-hundred boys from the De La Salle National School in Ballyfermot are to be transferred to a nearby campus with more than 1,000 pupils.
Martin Walsh, the spokesperson for the De La Salle Parents' Association, told a meeting this week. "If this is allowed to go ahead we will see over 1,000 children squeezed into half the space they enjoy."
Under the proposal, the children will be moved into the Dominican school in the area which has three schools - St Gabriel's, St Michael's and St Raphael's.
"We'll be losing resources in all four schools," said Mr Walsh.
His son Shane (10) attends De La Salle and his daughter Katie (12) is at St Raphael's.
Parents argue that their children will lose the use of a new building at De La Salle that was built just under two years ago. It is currently used for a breakfast club.
They are also concerned about the sports ground in De La Salle.
On Wednesday night, 300 parents from the local community attended a meeting, and so far 2,000 signatures have been collected against the closure of the school.
A spokeswoman for the Dublin Diocese told the Herald that the decision to merge the school was due to falling numbers.
"The De La Salle building is a major concern. It is not viable to maintain such a huge building with the small number of pupils that has reduced over the years to 279 boys," she said.
The spokeswoman also referred to the resources available to the students after the amalgamation.
"Pupils in the schools will still have use of the GAA pitch at De La Salle. Homework and breakfast clubs are available in the Dominican schools," she said.