herald

Sunday 20 August 2017

Nothing in this Budget to improve employment, says mum seeking work

ELLEN Doyle (36), from East Wall in Dublin, has been doing her best to find full-time employment. However, she has also considered leaving the country.

Ms Doyle said that she felt that previous cuts had been pushing people into homelessness.

Having studied social care and worked on a JobBridge scheme, she stressed just how much she wants to work.

"I'd love to work abroad when you look at places like Canada - they are looking for people with a social care degree," she told the Herald.

She said the Budget did little for those seeking employment. "There are no opportunities to advance in a career here," she said.

Ms Doyle did not think there was much in the Budget that would prevent people from leaving the country in search of work.

misleading

But the young mother has a seven-year-old son who she does not want to separate from her family.

The cost of childcare has made it impossible to take up a full-time job.

There was no reduction in social welfare payments in the Budget, such as jobseeker's allowance, but Ms Doyle said this was rather "misleading".

She felt that the announced investment in 10,000 social housing units was not enough to deal with the current waiting list.

Ms Doyle was particularly concerned about a cut in the 2012 Budget that has not been reversed, which said that one-parent families would only receive a payment for children seven or younger by 2015.

One area that she thought was of benefit was the restoration of the Christmas bonus.

She said the Budget was not as bad as in previous years, but thought it was a sign of the Government trying for a second term.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News