'Not enough being done to bring Dean's killers to justice', say his family
The family of a young man murdered in a case of mistaken identity feel not enough is being done to bring his killers to justice.
Innocent Dean Johnson (21) was shot dead just yards from his home in the Harelawn Estate, Clondalkin on August 24, 2013.
Several people have been arrested in relation to the gangland shooting, but no charges have been brought before the courts.
Speaking to the Herald, Dean's family said: "Has enough been done? No, not really. At first we thought there was. You always think there will be with the response at the start.
"It's a horrible thing what happened and everyone is affected by it. A person being killed is bad but when the wrong person, an innocent person gets killed, it's messed up."
Dean's mother Betty thanked the local community for their support, and said a headstone was being erected at her son's grave in the coming weeks, three years after the funeral.
"We didn't get any support from the Government. Dean's friends did a benefit and the community helped out."
Meanwhile, South Dublin County Council (SDCC) has voted to erect a memorial at the site Dean was killed.
Another family member said: "I'm proud to say I come from an area with great people."
Sinn Fein Cllr Mark Ward, who came across the murder scene moments after the shooting, has also accused Tanaiste Francis Fitzgerald of abandoning her constituents.
"The night Dean Johnson was murdered is something that still haunts me," he said.
"The sight that met me was horrific - a young man face down, unmoving and covered in blood.
"I and other neighbours did our best to help Dean while we waited on the emergency services. He was pronounced dead soon after.
"Minister Fitzgerald and her government colleagues have abandoned the community of Clondalkin, particularly North Clondalkin.
"While I am pleased that the process has begun to erect a lasting memorial to Dean, I am dismayed by the lack of government resources in place to tackle the fundamental problems, above all in an area represented by the current Tanaiste and Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald."
The Herald previously revealed how a suspect in the murder had become one of the largest distributors of cocaine in the capital.
The dangerous criminal has been the target of the Drugs and Organised Crime Bureau (DOCB) and the Special Crime Task Force in recent months.
More than €500k of drugs was seized from his gang in the space of a week earlier this year, while a massive operation was also carried out this month on him and his associates.
A number of garages, car showrooms and other businesses were raided and over €1m in assets and cash were seized by gardai.