herald

Thursday 8 December 2016

'My world has been ripped in two and I will love her forever' - Heartbroken sister of Natalie (23)

The sister of a young woman killed in Sligo has described how her world has been "ripped in two" over the death.

Jodie McGuinness - whose sister was allegedly murdered at an address in Sligo town on Wednesday morning - has said that there simply "are no words" to describe her family's pain of losing their loved one.

"There are no words that can express how me and my family are feeling," she said. "We've lost our sister and daughter. Natalie will never ever leave us and she will live on in our hearts and memories.

"My world has been ripped in two and I will love my sister forever and ever," Jodie McGuinness wrote on her social media account.

Charged

Meanwhile, a 33-year-old man has been placed on suicide watch after he was charged with the murder of Natalie McGuinness.

Oisin Conroy, of the Mews, Mail Coach Road, Co Sligo, appeared before a sitting of Sligo District Court charged with the murder of the 23-year-old woman.

Dressed in a grey hoodie and wearing a bandage around his head, the accused didn't address the court during the hearing.

Giving evidence, Sgt Patrick Harney said he arrested the accused at 12.05am yesterday at Sligo Garda Station in relation to the death of Ms McGuinness.

At 12.54am he charged Oisin Conroy with murder, to which the defendant made no reply.

Inspector Paul Kilcoyne asked that Mr Conroy be remanded in Castlerea prison and to appear before a sitting of Harristown court this morning.

However, counsel for the defence Keith O'Grady informed Judge Kilrane that there was no sitting at Harristown court tomorrow, and asked if the defendant could appear before Sligo court next Thursday.

Counsel for the defence asked that his client be afforded "urgent medical attention", and stated that he had previously received this while in garda custody.

Mr O'Grady also asked that his client receive a psychiatric evaluation, which should be "done as a matter of urgency", adding that "I don't feel anyone from the State would dispute that".

Judge Kilrane inquired if the defendant was at risk of self-harming, to which Inspector Kilcoyne replied "his wounds were self-inflicted", that he "had hurt himself with a weapon" and that Mr Conroy was "a threat to himself".

The defendant was subsequently remanded to Castlerea Prison on the order that he receive psychiatric care while in custody and that he be placed on suicide watch.

He will appear before the court again on November 5.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News