herald

Sunday 22 October 2017

Murder probe as road rage victim dies

GARDAI were today investigating the road rage murder of a dad in south Dublin.

Englishman Raymond Bates (49) has died of head injuries following the brutal assault with a hurley.

Mr Bates, who moved here just two months ago, was savagely beaten by an irate motorist.

The murder is the first road rage fatality in the history of the state.

The attack occurred at the junction of Sandymount Road, Newbridge Avenue and Tritonville Road around 7.30pm on Sunday evening.

Mr Bates had been in a coma in hospital since the vicious assault.

The other motorist involved in the incident has presented himself at Irishtown Garda Station and been quizzed by detectives.

The victim was originally from Newcastle in the UK and was married. He is thought to have been the father of one child.

He had been working in Dublin for the past two months as a pipe-layer and was believed to be staying in rented accommodation.

In a separate incident, traffic in the south inner city came to halt after two van drivers fought with each other in another road rage incident.

One of the men used a golf club to attack the other’s vehicle. A garda spokesperson confirmed that the victim of Sunday night's attack was pronounced dead at Beaumont Hospital yesterday and a post-mortem is being carried out by the State Pathologist’s office.

Medics at Beaumont Hospital were forced to place the man into an induced coma earlier this week but his condition worsened and he passed away just before 7pm last night at Beaumont's Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

The victim was able to make his way home after the attack but presented himself at St Vincent's Hospital after feeling unwell the next day.

He was then transferred to the country's main neurological facility at Beaumont after the gravity of his injuries was established.

No arrests have been made so far into the investigation but gardai believe that the investigation is making progress.

“We are following a definite line of enquiry and the investigation is going well,” a Garda spokesperson told the Herald.

Witnesses

Both men are understood to have stepped out of their cars on the roadway, after which the Englishman was violently attacked.

Gardai are continuing to appeal for witnesses as they try to firmly establish the circumstances surrounding the death.

A 40 metre stretch of the junction was sealed off as forensics experts examined the scene.

Gardai at Irishtown station confirmed that there were a number of people in the area at the time of the incident and they are being urged to come forward.

Gardai are appealing for any witnesses to contact Irishtown Garda Station on 01 6669600 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

News of the death was greeted by shock and dismay in the Sandymount area.

“I heard in the local shop that someone had pulled out in front of someone else on the road,” a middle-aged man from the area told the Herald.

“It's shocking that it should come to this. It's the times we live in. It's very sad.”

To counteract the increasing incidents of road rage in Ireland, from 2007 the Road Safety Authority included a section on road rage in it's 'Rules of the Road' publication.

The public are urged to report all incidents of 'road rage' to gardai or Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News