Mum and 3 kids found blood-soaked gun victim lying in road after attack
Three children out walking with their mother came across the blood-soaked and badly wounded victim of the capital's latest gun attack.
Father-of-two Christopher Maguire (38) was clinging to life in Beaumont Hospital last night after being shot five times in the gun attack at the Dun Emer estate in Lusk, north Co Dublin, at 9.50am yesterday.
Sources have revealed that the woman and her young children - including a baby - came across an "appalling scene" when they saw Maguire, covered in blood, lying on a footpath close to his car.
Maguire was hit with bullets in the face, chest, neck, arm and stomach but was able to call '999' himself. He was still conscious when emergency services arrived at the scene.
Gardai removed the blood-stained clothes that Maguire had been wearing when he was targeted by the gunman, who was armed with a handgun with a silencer.
The weapon and silencer were later recovered in a burnt-out getaway car in a field in the Minister's Road area of Lusk.
Gardai are investigating if the attempted murder is linked to the bitter Kinahan/Hutch feud which has already claimed seven lives, or whether the shooting may be part of a row in the so-called 'New INLA' faction over extortion cash.
Some of Maguire's closest associates are suspected of being 'guns for hire' for the Kinahan side in the feud and are suspected of active involvement in the murder of Gareth Hutch in May.
Gardai are investigating if this may have made Maguire a target for the Hutch gang but the badly injured man is not suspected of being involved in the feud himself.
Maguire has no previous convictions and sources have revealed that gardai were unaware of any threat against him.
Just over an hour after yesterday's shooting, armed members of the garda Emergency Response Unit (ERU) monitored a meeting involving a number of players in the Hutch gang, which took place in the Portland Row area of the north inner city.
Maguire is a close associate of notorious dissident Republican criminal Declan 'Whacker' Duffy. Originally from Ballymun, he is facing charges before the non-jury Special Criminal Court where he, 'Whacker' Duffy and another man are charged with three counts of false imprisonment at The Towers, Garters Lane in Saggart on June 9, 2015.
During a bail hearing last December in relation to this alleged incident, a senior garda said officers responded to a 999 call at 12.10pm on June 9 last year where they met a man who appeared to have been "viciously assaulted".
He was rushed to Tallaght Hospital suffering a fractured skull and eye socket and a broken arm. The senior garda said another man, whose ear was cut, then approached gardai.
He claimed to gardai he had been taken "against his will" from Rathcoole by seven men and driven to his apartment in Saggart. The businessman then alleged that he, his wife and their son were falsely imprisoned in their home for 40 minutes. He said Maguire was clearly identified on CCTV cameras.
The garda claimed the couple are "afraid" and living at an unknown location.
The court heard that Maguire was still at the scene when gardai arrived, that he remained there for some time afterwards and that he gave his details to gardai when they asked for them.
In objecting to bail, the garda said his fear was that Maguire "could be instructed to interfere with witnesses", as ringleaders were still at large.
In cross examination at the time, Seamus Clarke BL claimed that Maguire had "a lesser part" in the incident than his co-accused.
The garda said this was "a bit too far", and he had taken "an active part in the false imprisonment" but had not been charged with violent disorder.
Maguire was granted bail by Judge Victor Blake, under strict bail conditions.
He was ordered not to associate with his co-accused, directed to stay away from the alleged victim and surrender his passport.