herald

Saturday 19 August 2017

Mansfield fails in bid to restore his licence back

BUSINESSMAN Jim Mansfield Jnr has failed in his legal bid to get his driving licence restored.

Mansfield, who was given a five-year ban in 2011, needed his licence to help care for his elderly mother and to run his businesses, Dublin District Court was told.

But Judge Aeneas McCarthy refused after hearing garda objections. This means that Mansfield (48) will have to stay off the road until his ban expires in July next year.

Half-way through a period of disqualification, a banned driver is entitled to make an application to the District Court to consider restoring their licence.

However, Gda George Thurlow, from the Traffic Corps, opposed Mansfield's attempt.

Mansfield (inset), a son of the late hotelier Jim Mansfield Snr, was given the five-year ban after being caught driving without insurance in November 2010.

He was already subject to a driving disqualification imposed by a court the previous month, but had not surrendered his licence. Gda Thurlow said Mansfield had two previous convictions for drink-driving.

Judge McCarthy refused the appeal on the grounds that Mansfield had been driving while already disqualified.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News