Man sparks garda station chemical alert as three brought to hospital
A garda was among three people brought to hospital after a chemical threat at a station in Co Meath.
Kells Garda Station was sealed off for over eight hours on Saturday after a man, concerned for the health of both himself and his family, brought a chemical substance inside.
The incident sparked a major emergency plan which saw the army bomb disposal unit as well as fire and ambulance services deployed to the scene.
The drama unfolded at 10.30am when a Moldovan man called to the station with some white powder on a latex glove and reporting to feel unwell.
It's understood he claimed he discovered the powder after his car was broken into. He allegedly told gardai that he and his family were feeling ill and he feared he had been poisoned.
The garda station was immediately sealed off and traffic restrictions enforced around the area until 7pm.
Some members of the emergency services wore chemical protective clothing while examinations were being carried out.
The 40-year-old man, his son and a male garda were taken to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda but medical tests were clear. The man's family members were also medically checked as a further precaution.
The Army Bomb Disposal Unit carried out initial tests on the substance which proved to be non-toxic. The powder was then sent to the Garda Forensics Unit for further examination.