Man sent for trial over hostel stab attack claim
A YOUNG man has been sent for trial accused of falsely imprisoning and assaulting a teenager who suffered dozens of stab wounds in an alleged attack at a homeless hostel.
Jason Prenderville (23) is charged with assaulting and imprisoning the alleged 19-year-old victim who is still recovering from wounds he suffered in the incident three months ago.
He had a book of evidence served on him at Dublin District Court.
Mr Prenderville is charged with assault causing serious harm and falsely imprisoning the young man at St Catherine's Foyer, Marrowbone Lane in the south inner city on April 9-10 last.
The charges are both under the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.
A State Solicitor said the DPP was directing trial on indictment and a book of evidence was ready.
Judge James Faughnan gave the accused the formal notice that he must provide within 14 days to the prosecution details of any alibi he intends to rely on in the course of his trial.
He then sent him forward to the next sittings of Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.
Previously, Garda Cathal Ryan of Kilmainham Station told the court the defendant made no reply when he was cautioned and charged.
The accused is on bail which was granted at the High Court following a refusal at the District Court.
At an earlier hearing, Judge Anne Ryan refused to relax bail conditions to remove a curfew that was imposed.
Garda Ryan said the prosecution would prefer that this condition remained because of a "fear of intimidation".
The alleged victim (19) was described by gardai as having suffered serious but not life-threatening wounds.
He was treated in hospital after the incident and is still recovering from his injuries.
Mr Prenderville was previously granted free legal aid after a judge heard he was unemployed.