Tuesday 6 December 2016

Man (39) held after six homes gutted in blaze

Fire in Newbridge, Kildare 31/03/15 - Photo Alan O'Reilly Twitter
Fire in Newbridge, Kildare 31/03/15 - Photo Alan O'Reilly Twitter
Photo: Kfmradio Kildare (Fan Page)/Facebook
Fire in Newbridge, Kildare. Photo: Alan O'Reilly/ Twitter

A MAN was arrested after six homes were gutted in a major fire in Newbridge, Co Kildare yesterday evening.

The fire broke out in the Millfield Manor area of Curragh Grange, Newbridge at 5.45pm.

Kildare Fire Service were battling the blaze for several hours but gardai said no injuries had been reported.

Fire personnel and gardai had to wear protective masks because of the smoke.

Gardai last night said that they had arrested a 39-year-old man in connection with the investigation.

The man was detained at Newbridge Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984.

Local councillor Willie Crowley said that the scene of the fire was like a "war zone".

"There was smoke everywhere. There was chaos," Mr Crowley told the Herald. "Six families are without homes tonight.

"There must be an immediate investigation into how the fire spread from one property to another so easily and so quickly," he added.

"I am calling on the Department of the Environment to launch an inquiry into the construction of these houses. An entire block was destroyed."

High winds hampered efforts by firemen to control the blaze which was eventually contained before 9pm.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News