herald

Tuesday 17 October 2017

Man (33) fights for his life in city attack

a man is in a critical condition after an attack in Dublin city centre last night.

The 33-year-old victim suffered serious head injuries in an assault at Aston Quay at around 9.30pm.

He is believed to have been badly beaten.

The Westmeath native was rushed to St James's Hospital where he is today reported to be in a critical but stable condition.

Gardai have sealed off the scene pending a forensic examination.

No arrests have been made yet, but gardai are set to view CCTV images from the area as well as interview witnesses in an effort to establish the sequence of events that led up to the attack.

ALERT

Separately, gardai said that a new text alert system to crack down on criminal gangs has been hailed a huge success after 600,000 texts were sent in the first year.

The system, a joint initiative between gardai and community groups such as Muintir na Tíre and Neighbourhood Watch, enables communities to set up a group to receive alerts advising them of suspicious or criminal activity in their area.

Launched a year ago, Text Alert now has over 450 Groups in towns and villages throughout the country.

Within the last two weeks, eight such groups have been set up in the Portmarnock/Malahide areas.

In one case earlier this year, a man reported the theft of his vehicle to gardai and identified a suspect vehicle and a text alert was sent out to targeted areas.

Acting on information received back, gardaí were able to intercept the gang, four men were arrested, and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

"We have found that as an immediate, cost-effective method of engagement with the communities we serve, the Text Alert system has proved to be invaluable," said Assistant Commissioner Jack Nolan.

cfeehan@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News