Luas commuters should prepare for 'all-out strike'
LUAS commuters have been warned to be prepared for the prospect of a complete shutdown of the tram system as the company placed all workers on protective notice.
Tram operator Transdev said the employment of all staff is now on a "day-to-day basis until further notice".
In a stark warning to drivers and traffic supervisors, the company said that any staff who take part in industrial action after a deadline of April 24 will have their wages cut.
Transdev said a revised pay proposal, which would give a 10pc increase to all staff, will be on the table until April 17.
But staff have already overwhelmingly rejected an 18pc increase negotiated at the Workplace Relations Commission.
Siptu divisional organiser Owen Reidy said a ballot for an all-out strike is under "serious consideration" which could mean the system will grind to a complete halt in just five weeks' time.
Responding to Transdev's letter to staff last night, Mr Reidy said within the next 24 to 48 hours, union representatives will be talking informally to members and may hold a general meeting to decide whether to seek a mandate for an all-out strike.
He said it was clear the company is in "no mood" to resolve the dispute.
Transdev said following its meeting with the union earlier this week, "there is no basis for any talks or other intervention in this dispute at this point".