herald

Wednesday 23 August 2017

Love Ulster march axed in deal for attack files

Rioting in O'Connell Street which stopped the planned Love Ulster March through the city in 2006
Rioting in O'Connell Street which stopped the planned Love Ulster March through the city in 2006

The Love Ulster parade planned for the city on March 28 will not go ahead.

Loyalist activist Willie Frazer met with senior officials in the Department of Justice yesterday and an agreement was reached between the parties.

The last Love Ulster march in Dublin in 2006 saw 14 people hospitalised and 41 people arrested when a riot broke out.

Mr Frazer, who represents Families Acting for Innocent Relatives (Fair), had been seeking the release of intelligence documents from the Irish Government relating to the Kingsmill Massacre of 1976.

Attack

The documents are wanted for a coroner's inquest in Northern Ireland into the 1976 sectarian attack where ten Ulster Protestant textile workers were shot dead.

Mr Frazer said the parade will not now go ahead.

"It was a very good meeting and it was agreed that they would start giving over documents ... and it is with that understanding that the parade will not go ahead," Mr Frazer told the Herald.

A spokesperson for The Department of Justice there were "useful discussion on issues related to victims".

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News