'Kill threats' teen on bail as detention centres full
a Dublin boy, who has been run out of his locality because of his alleged criminal activities, has again been granted bail because juvenile detention centres are full.
The 15-year-old drug user's anti-social behaviour has led to threats being made that he would be shot or decapitated, the Dublin Children's Court was told.
Judge John O'Connor yesterday said there was sufficient evidence to revoke the youth's bail.
But he could not do so due to the shortage of spaces in the Oberstown or Trinity House juvenile detention centres, a problem he described as "dreadful".
The teen still cannot go home as his family fear for his safety, the judge was told.
For a second day in a row the judge had to grant bail to the teenager who was let out on condition he remains at all times with his mother who said they would stay in a hotel.
The teenager already had charges for criminal damage to a car and possessing a knife as well as a wooden pole as weapons, during an incident at the home of extended family members in August.
After he was bailed on Tuesday, he was rearrested and held overnight to be charged with possessing stolen property including a camera, a phone, house and car keys, and cash on a date last month.
Yesterday Garda Sheila Kenny had again objected to bail saying that more charges are expected against the boy. He had also said has going to approach the injured parties, she told the court.
The court has heard that his mother fears for his safety.
The boy's grandmother has allegedly been told that the boy, who has also broken bail conditions set down by court, "was going to be shot" and "going to be decapitated" if he returned to the area.
The case resumes today.