Joan Burton calls for report on garda chief Martin Callinan's exit
TANAISTE Joan Burton has said she hopes a judge’s report on the surprise exit of former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan from his job will be published soon.
Ms Burton said she has not asked Taoiseach Enda Kenny anything, either personally or in her professional capacity, about the circumstances which led to the unexplained sudden retirement of Mr Callinan on March 25 last year.
She said the proper way to deal with this was via a report by retired Supreme Court judge Nial Fennelly.
“I’m waiting for Judge Fennelly’s report – I think that’s the proper way to do it,” she told Newstalk radio.
Mr Kenny has insisted he did not effectively sack Mr Callinan.
In a lengthy interview, the Taoiseach also definitively ruled out involvement by the British royal family in the 1916 centenary celebrations next year.
He said the countries involved in Easter 2016 commemorations will be represented
by their ambassadors.
Mr Kenny again faced questions about his reluctance to discuss whether he was recalled for more questions by the Fennelly Commission which is examining alleged garda misconduct.
This inquiry’s remit includes the commissioner’s sudden departure 12 months ago.
It is also investigating the secret tape-recording of phone calls to key garda stations over 30 years.
Mr Callinan’s announcement followed his meeting with the then-head of the Justice Department who was acting for the Taoiseach.
The Opposition argues that only the Government can remove a garda commissioner, and wants urgent explanations from Mr Kenny.