herald

Sunday 22 October 2017

Jason - I no longer wish to be part of Take That

TAKE That singer Jason Orange has quit the band, saying "I no longer wish to do this".

The star told band mates Gary Barlow, Mark Owen and Howard Donald that he wanted to leave the group last week.

Jason (44) released a statement to explain his sudden decision.

He said that he remains close friends with his "brothers".

"I want to start by saying how proud I am of what we have achieved together over the years," he said in the statement.

"However, at a band meeting last week I confirmed to Mark, Gary and Howard that I do not wish to commit to recording and promoting a new album.

"I have spent some of the best years of my life with Take That and I'd like to thank everyone who has been a part of my journey, including my bandmates, who I feel are like brothers to me.

"Most especially my gratitude goes to all of the good and kind, beautiful and ever-loyal fans of the band, without who none of this could have been possible."

Jason said there were no disagreements with the band - and he thought about leaving shortly after Take That's Progress tour.

"I know how much Mark, Gary and Howard enjoy writing and making music, and they know that they have my full support and encouragement to continue on with what is to be another chapter for the band," he added.

SAD

Gary, Howard and Mark reacted to Jason's news as a "sad day for us".

"We first became aware of Jason's reservations a couple of years ago but had hoped that by giving him the desired time and space he may begin to feel differently," they said. "This has not been the case and we now have to accept and fully respect his decision."

The band are expected to continue with just three members.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News