herald

Sunday 20 August 2017

ISPCC has lost €2.5m over past four years

Frances Fitzgerald, T.D., Minister for children and youth affairs with Childline, CEO, Ashley Balbirnie
Frances Fitzgerald, T.D., Minister for children and youth affairs with Childline, CEO, Ashley Balbirnie

Losses continued to mount at children's charity, the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC) last year with total losses over the past four years now topping €2.5m.

In spite of additional losses projected for this year, a spokeswoman for the organisation declared that it "will overcome the temporary financial challenges" facing the organisation.

The spokeswoman was commenting on accounts contained in the ISPCC's annual report for 2013 that reveal that losses totalled €439,000.

This follows losses of €517,000 in 2012; €1m in 2011 and €587,000 in 2010 giving an overall loss for the four years of €2.54m.

Donations from the public last year dropped by 12pc or €465,000 from €4.24m to €3.75m with overall income down 8pc to €5.3m. The annual report states: "It will not be feasible for the ISPCC to sustain its current level of services to children with this decline in income.

"We were on course for a significantly better financial performance (in 2013) before the Central Remedial Clinic/Rehab revelations which had a significant impact on our major fundraising months of November and December," the ISPCC spokeswoman said.

In response to the mounting losses, the ISPCC last year reduced the numbers it employs from 98 to 89 and reduced its spend by 8pc or €561,000 from €6.34m to €5.77m.

She added that it is "very likely" that the ISPCC will be loss-making again this year.

Salaries

The salary of the ISPCC's outgoing chief executive, Ashley Balbirnie's salary remains at €144,000. Mr Balbirnie announced his resignation in June after seven years in the role.

The spokeswoman warned: "There are increasing waiting lists for our Childhood Support Service and a major fundraising crisis developing for our Childline service."

She said that the funding crisis at Childline "will pose a real threat to our ability to provide a 24-hour service. A major national appeal is being planned for later this year to respond to this crisis".

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News