Friday 21 October 2016

Irishman killed in the US to be buried with first wife in Ireland

Jason Corbett with his children
Jason Corbett with his children

THE Irishman killed in the US last week is to be buried with the mother of his children, his late wife Mags, in Limerick.

Jason Corbett (39) was killed at his home in North Carolina during a domestic incident.

His family are locked in a custody battle with authorities in the US who have put his children Jack (10) and Sarah (8) into the care of his second wife Molly Martens Corbett - the chief suspect in the case.

Mr Corbett remarried after Mags died after an asthma attack in 2006.

His sister Tracey Lynch said that it was her brother's wish to be laid to rest alongside the mother of his children in Limerick.

"It is what he would have wanted," said Ms Lynch.

READ MORE:  Family vows not to hold Jason Corbett’s funeral until children are returned

"It is painful and we are trying to keep focused on what Jason's wishes were while trying to process our grief and support each other," she added.

Mr Corbett's body is to be returned home with the help of the Kevin Bell Repatriation Trust.

"It is some comfort that we are receiving so much support from home because it is difficult to carry on here," said Ms Lynch.

Colin Bell set up the repatriation trust with his wife Eithne after their son was killed in the US two years ago.

"Our son Kevin was killed in a hit-and-run in New York two years ago on my 60th birthday," said Mr Bell.

"We got massive support from the people of Newry who raised money to bring him home," he added.

"We had a sum of money and we chose to use it to help bring Irish people home. Since Kevin's death we have taken 82 Irish people home.

"We look upon it as Kevin's legacy."

Ms Lynch's husband David said the family were very grateful for the help they have received.

"It was one phone call and that was it dealt with. It is such an enormous burden gone off of us," he said.


No arrangements have been made to return Mr Corbett's body to Ireland, but Mr Bell confirmed that he had been in contact with the undertaker in the US.

The family have not yet had any contact with Mr Corbett's children since arriving in the US a week ago.

However, they said that they remain determined to come home as a family and they intend to stay in the US until they are given custody of the children.

"We are all on the same page and we need to bring Jack and Sarah home," said Ms Lynch

"Jason's wishes were that David and myself would look after the kids and we are determined to do what he would have wanted," she added.

No arrests have been made in relation to Mr Corbett's death and a police investigation is ongoing.

They are not looking for anybody outside the family home.

Related Content

Promoted articles

Entertainment News