Irish nanny accused of killing baby faces six months under house arrest
AN Irish nanny accused of killing a one-year-old baby in the United States will spend at least six months under house arrest.
The first degree murder trial of Cavan woman Aisling Brady McCarthy (36) has been delayed until at least October due to expected scheduling conflicts among witnesses and jury members over the summer.
A representative of the state medical examiner's office was not present at the Middlesex County Superior Court in Woburn, Massachusetts yesterday to present an update on its fresh review into medical evidence.
Judge Maureen B Hogan gave a deadline of June 9 for the office to present its findings, which claim Rehma Sabir was not murdered in January 2013 as has been alleged.
Assistant District Attorney General Patrick Fitzgerald said the prosecution's case would consist of at least 50 witnesses, would take between four and six weeks and would begin each day at 9am and conclude by lunchtime.
Defence attorney Melinda Thompson said she intended to call several medical experts to the stand, but due to scheduling conflicts and summer holidays, many would not be available until the autumn.
Ms Thompson added the defence's case would last between one and one-and-a-half weeks, meaning the full trial could last up to two months.
Judge Hogan set the trial start date for Tuesday, October 13, but said that this was subject to change.
Ms McCarthy had been imprisoned in the north-eastern US state of Massachusetts for almost two-and-a-half years before she was granted bail earlier this month. Under conditions set by the court, Ms McCarthy must remain under house arrest at all times and wear a GPS tracking device.
She was forced to give her passport to US authorities, but will be allowed to leave her home for court dates, meetings with her attorneys and for doctor appointments.