Inquest of boy (6) calls for lower speed limits
There will be no prosecution of the driver who was behind the wheel when six-year-old Jake Brennan was knocked down and killed.
The jury at an inquest in Carlow into the death of little Jake, who was hit by the car outside his home in Kilkenny, recommended the introduction of a mandatory 30kph speed limit in all housing estates.
They also called for improved signage in housing estates after it was heard that emergency services had trouble find- ing the cul-de-sac where Jake lived.
He died from crush injuries to his chest and abdomen as a result of being hit by a car nearly two years ago.
Deputy state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis said the injuries were "consistent with being run over and dragged by the front bodywork of a vehicle".
Coroner Dr Brendan Doyle will write to the Department of Transport regarding the jury's recommendation.
Jake's mother, Roseann Brennan, said she and her three children had been in McDonagh Junction shopping centre on the evening of June 12, 2014, before returning home to her husband, Chris, who was getting the dinner ready.
The children had ice-cream and Jake said "it's the best day of my life", Ms Brennan told the inquest.
After dinner on the front lawn, Jake asked if he could go across the road to the green and his mother agreed.
She then saw a car and heard a bang and saw her child going up into the air and coming down again.
She ran to Jake and he said: "Mammy, I don't want to die, I don't want to die."
The driver of the car said she was not speeding and never saw Jake.
The inquest heard that after a major garda investigation, a decision was made by the DPP not to bring any prosecution.
Ms Brennan said it was "very upsetting" to go back over details of Jake's last moments, but welcomed the jury's recommendation.
"We feel our baby didn't die in vain," she said.