herald

Monday 25 September 2017

Innocent family flee for their lives as firebomb attack destroys their home

THREE people fled for their lives after a firebomb attack completely gutted their Dublin home.

The three, a 17-year-old girl, a 39-year-old woman and a 42-year-old man, escaped after their house was attacked and burst into flames at 3.20am today.

Miraculously no-one was injured in the incident on Sperrin Road in Drimnagh, which destroyed the property.

It is understood that the intended target of the attack was not in the property at the time. Sources say that he had previously spent some time in England.

Sources say that a friend of the intended target had previously survived a gun attack in Ballyfermot in August, 2008.

The innocent family -- named locally as Fagans -- are said to have escaped out the back while the flames swept through their home.

Two units of Dublin Fire Brigade backed up by a district officer fought the fire, but the blaze had taken hold rapidly and had spread to the upstairs of the house by the time they arrived.

Neighbouring homes on the terrace were evacuated and a garda investigation was underway today to try to determine the motive for the attack.

The scene was sealed off pending a forensic examination by members of the garda technical bureau.

Evidence of the intensity of the fire was plain to see as dawn broke today.

Fire crews had dumped furniture and bedding out of the upstairs window.

The bedroom ceiling had collapsed, the front door was incinerated and black smoke marks covered the front of the house.

Neighbours said the first they knew about the fire was when the fire brigade arrived.

"There was a lot of activity on the road, and there was smoke everywhere. I was afraid to leave the house," said one woman.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News