Makes 12 flapjacks
400g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
200ml cold water
2 cinnamon sticks
200g rolled oats
60g soft light brown sugar (or as you like, for sweetness) or honey
1 tsp baking powder
sunflower oil for greasing
1. Cook the apples to a pulp with the water and cinnamon over a moderate heat with a lid on the pan for about 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
3. Mix the oats, sugar, raisins and baking powder in a bowl.
4. Add the apple pulp to the oats, removing the cinnamon sticks, and mix well.
5. Spoon into a greased 20 x 28cm baking tin, 5cm deep, and smooth out even and flat. Try not to have too many raisins poking out from the surface of the flapjack, as these tend to catch in the oven - poke them down with your forefinger.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until nicely coloured and firm on top.
7. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Cool on a wire rack.