herald

Thursday 19 October 2017

Infected British man dies in Macedonia

A British man suspected of contracting the Ebola virus has died in Macedonia - a further sign that the disease is spreading in Europe.

A senior Macedonian government official has revealed a second Briton had also shown symptoms of the virus.

He said the two had been staying at a hotel in the capital, Skopje, and that hotel staff and the ambulance crew that took them in for treatment had been put into isolation.

The virus, which is spread through direct contact with body fluids from an infected person, has killed nearly 4,000 people in West Africa since March, in the largest outbreak on record.

The health of a Spanish nurse, the first person believed to have contracted Ebola outside of Africa, worsened yesterday in Madrid, where a total of seven people are in isolation.

Meanwhile, an Australian woman is being assessed for the Ebola virus after she developed a fever following her return from a month working as a Red Cross nurse in Sierra Leone.

ISOLATION

Queensland state chief health officer Jeanette Young said the 57-year-old developed a "low-grade fever" this morning and went to Cairns Hospital, where she was put into isolation.

The woman, who was named as Sue-Ellen Kovack by local media, returned to Australia at the weekend and had been in home isolation since.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News