'I can't wait', says Des as he gets set to join stars on dance floor
He's ditching the comedy stage and waltzing into the ballroom - Des Bishop has been confirmed as the first celebrity to be taking part in Dancing With The Stars.
The comedian (41) ended weeks of speculation when he confirmed on last night's Late Late Show that he would be taking part in the series, which is slated to air on January 8.
Des said he cannot wait to get stuck into the dancing show with the 10 other celebrities who will be taking part, despite having no dancing experience.
"I absolutely cannot wait for January, I can't think of a better way to spend the next few months, or as along as possible, taking part in the show," he said. "At my age, to learn something completely new such as ballroom dancing is an amazing opportunity."
The Herald previously revealed the TV star would be taking part in the series, along with RTE's Teresa Mannion, GAA star Aidan O'Mahony, model Thalia Heffernan, and sports presenter Des Cahill.
However, those linked to the series have so far remained tight-lipped on whether or not they will be participating.
The show will see the contestants pair up with professional dancing partners to put their twinkle toes to the test.
Each pairing will have a different dance genre to master every week and they will have just seven days to perfect their routine before performing live to the nation.
The couples will be assessed by an expert panel of judges and the viewing public, with all contestants being safe for the first two shows before eliminations begin.
Series producer Larry Bass said production company Shinawil could use more money to fund the show.
"We could do with another chunk of change as you would but we have to make do with the resources that we have. This is the biggest show we've ever done. We're managing 12 professional dancers, 11 celebrity dancers, and three presenters, and another show on top of it."