Monday 24 October 2016

Horror crash survivor needs €30k to make home accessible


A DUBLIN teen paralysed in a horror car crash last year has finally been able to return home.

And while Ryan Goldup's family are delighted he's back with them after months of rehabilitation, around €30,000 is needed to make his home wheelchair-accessible.

"It is a miracle he is alive. He had his seatbelt on him and I think that saved him," said the 19-year-old's mum, Eileen.


The family home in Lusk needs to be adapted to accommodate his wheelchair and the community has begun to fund-raise to contribute towards the cost of the works.

"Ryan has been allowed home at weekends since Christmas but our house is not ready for him because we need to have the doors widened and ramps put in as well as changing the bathroom into a wet room for him," Eileen said.

The family has applied to Fingal County Council for a grant towards the work but will only get a partial contribution towards the costs.

"We have no savings and it cost us €500 to buy a wheelchair-accessible car," Eileen said. "Only for that car we would be lost."

Ryan suffered five fractures in his neck and spine in the accident.

"I know it is bad but we are thankful because he could have been killed or left with a brain injury or even paralysed from the neck down," his mum said.

Ideally the family would like to raise enough money to pay for Ryan to have driving lessons in the wheelchair-accessible car.

"It would mean Ryan would have some independence and not have to rely on me or his dad I am really, really proud of him. When I think of all the obstacles that he has come through and he is still smiling," she added. Details on how to support the fundraising can be found on Facebook page Support Ryan Goldup.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News