herald

Wednesday 7 December 2016

Hector returns to airwaves after Miriam fiasco

Radio

Hector O hEochagáin has been involved in a bit of scandal of late but he's set to return to the airwaves on Today FM.

The Navan man is set to fill in for Ian Dempsey for the next two weeks.

Hector will take the reigns of Ireland's biggest breakfast show from Monday and says he's looking forward to returning to waking up the nation.

"My early morning alarm is being set once again, the porridge will be consumed and the kettle will be boiled," he said.

"I can't wait to get back again into the cars, the kitchens and the workplaces of the country."

The 45-year-old, who previously presented the breakfast show on 2fm, recently had to apologise for comments that he made about presenter Miriam O'Callaghan.

He described his outburst on the now-cancelled Saturday Night Show as "a moment of madness".

"You don't leap around the place if you're on after the nine o'clock news on RTE One," he told Brendan O'Connor.

"You're either bloody Miriam O'Callaghan talking s***e or another one trying to imitate Miriam O'Callaghan."

Hector apologised saying "he didn't know what happened" that caused him to go on such a rant.

Apologise

"I don't know what happened me," he said. "There was a little man on my shoulder. There was a little man in my head.

"There's been a bit of a mountain out of a molehill about the comments I made. But I want to officially apologise to Miriam O'Callaghan for saying she talks s***e. She far from talks s***e. A lot of people tune in to Miriam and she's a great broadcaster."

Hector said he didn't realise until afterwards that he had said something wrong.

"I want to officially apologise to Miriam because I met her on a few occasions and she's a good laugh.

"I regret what I said. It was a moment of mad TV. It was live TV, you say something wrong, so be it," he added.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News