herald

Monday 25 September 2017

Gardai come to rescue of man wrongly identified as sex offender

The man had to be given protection by gardai on leaving the area
The man had to be given protection by gardai on leaving the area

A media outlet in the midlands has been forced to issue an apology and clarification after a man was falsely identified as a sex offender - and gardai intervened after he was confronted by locals.

KildareNow published an article regarding concerns of parents in Monasterevin and elsewhere that convicted sex offender Anthony Luckwill had been seen in the locality.

It published what it described as "a verified police 'mugshot' photograph of Luckwill" with the article.

However, in the clarification, the outlet said a reader posted a photograph of another man in the comment section when the article was posted on Facebook.

Altercation

The man looked like the convicted sex offender and was seen in Monasterevin.

Shortly after the posting, there was an altercation between locals and the man. There is no suggestion that the man had done anything wrong.

The man had to be given protection by gardai on leaving the area.

"KildareNow would like to unreservedly apologise to that innocent person who gardai also confirmed is not Anthony Luckwill," the media outlet said in a statement.

Luckwill has a series of convictions for possession of child pornography. He sexually assaulted two young boys in 2011 and received four-and-a-half years in jail.

He previously lived in Navan, Co Meath.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News