herald

Sunday 22 October 2017

Garda will face trial in assault, theft case

a DUBLIN-based garda who denies claims that he assaulted a man and stole money from him during an alleged incident last year is to face trial in December.

The officer's trial follows an investigation by the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC).

A complaint was initially made to the GSOC in February and summonses were served on the officer who appeared again at Dublin District Court yesterday.

In July, he was granted an adjournment to allow him to consider his plea.

Padraig Dennehy, who is attached to Mountjoy station in the north inner city, is facing two charges arising out of an alleged incident on March 3 last year.

It is claimed he assaulted a named male at Parnell Square West contrary to Section 2 of the Non-Fatal Offences Act, an offence which can, subject to conviction, carry a six-month sentence as well as a fine, and is confined to the jurisdiction of the district court.

The second charge is under Section 4 of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act for the alleged theft of €6.25 from the same complainant. On conviction this can also result in a fine and a possible sentence.

The State had already complied with an order for disclosure of evidence so the defence could consider it before indicating how the accused would plead to the charges.

The officer did not address the court when his case resumed yesterday, but his solicitor, Liz Hughes, told Judge John O'Neill that the application she was instructed to make was to ask for a hearing. This means the allegations will be contested.

footage

"It is estimated it will take a full day," Ms Hughes added.

Prosecution solicitor Michael Durkan said the State's evidence included CCTV footage, and a courtroom with facilities to show it was required.

Dressed in a striped shirt and black trousers, the officer was ordered to appear again in December when his non-jury district court trial will take place.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News