GAA red-faced as €200k Hawk-Eye 'misses' the point
THE computer showed 'yes' but said 'no'.
GAA chiefs were red-faced after the much-heralded Hawk-Eye had to be suspended at Croke Park yesterday.
But their embarrassment was nothing compared to the rage felt by Limerick, who seem to have had a legitimate point ruled out in the All Ireland minor hurling semi-final.
Their game ended in a draw but Galway went on to win by two points in extra time.
The controversy arose when referee Fergal Horgan was unsure about a first-minute point attempt by Barry Nash.
He referred the score to the point detection system, which appeared to show that the sliotar glided inside the post – then fans were shocked to see 'miss' flash up on the big screens.
As a result the referee waved the ball wide.
The GAA is using Hawk-Eye on a trial basis in Croke Park with a view to rolling it out around the country.
It is thought to have cost the GAA in the region of €200,000, although the actual figure has never been confirmed.
Ironically, its introduction allowed the GAA to secure a sponsorship with Specsavers.
Until yesterday, Hawk-Eye had been praised as a positive development in the game.
But following the technical blunder, officials decided not to rely on it for the senior game between Limerick and Clare.
In a brief statement the GAA said that the mistake was the result of "an inconsistency in the generation of a graphic".
A full review of the technology, in conjunction with Hawk-Eye, began last night and its findings will be examined by the GAA today.
"It is expected that Hawk-Eye will be in full working order for next Sunday's minor and senior football semi-finals," the GAA said.
Limerick's manager Brian Ryan last night ruled out looking for a replay.
"We move on. These matches aren't going to be replayed," he said.
Calls for the introduction of Hawk-Eye were made after a number of controversial incidents in the 2010 championship.
The Leinster football final between Louth and Meath was one such, when a controversial goal by Meath snatched victory in the dying minutes of the game.
In 2010, a High Court judge ruled that a Louth fan and pensioner could not bring a challenge over the controversial goal.