herald

Thursday 29 June 2017

Four to face trial for the murder of Dublin dad-of-two (36)

Mr Reilly died in January
Mr Reilly died in January

A father, his two sons and another youth are to face trial in the Central Criminal Court accused of the murder of dad-of-two Neil Reilly.

Mr Reilly (36) sustained serious injuries during a row in the early hours of January 18 after his car came to a halt and he was attacked and stabbed in the Esker Glebe area of Lucan, close to his home in St Finian's Close.

Earlier, shots had been fired at a house in west Dublin, a court was told. Mr Reilly was taken to James Connolly Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly after.

Four males ranging in ages from late teens to 50s were arrested.

Paul Bradley (52), his sons Jason Bradley (18) and Dean Bradley (22), of Liscarne Gardens, Ronanstown, in west Dublin, and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named because he is a minor, were all charged on January 31.

Evidence

They were initially remanded in custody because the district courts cannot grant bail in murder cases. However, bail was later granted by the High Court.

They appeared again at Blanchardstown District Court yesterday and Judge David McHugh heard that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed they will be tried in the Central Criminal Court.

A State solicitor said that the book of evidence was "largely drafted" and the case was adjourned to allow time for the book of evidence to be completed.

Judge McHugh ordered the four defendants, who did not address the court, to appear again on a date in July, when it is expected the book of evidence will be served and they can then be returned for trial.

He remanded them on continuing bail. They were also told they will need to have their independent sureties, the people who stood bail for them, in court with them at the next hearing.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News