herald

Thursday 17 August 2017

Fire forces 100 patients and staff to evacuate the Mater

around 100 patients and staff had tyo be evacuated from Dublin's Mater Hospitaafter a room caught fire.

Seven units from the Dublin Fire Brigade attended the scene to contain the blaze on the third floor yesterday, which is believed to have been started by an electrical fault.

Emergency services responded to the fire shortly before 3.20pm and began evacuating parts of the building near the operating theatre on level three.

The 100 patients and staff waited in the hospital's lobby on the ground floor.

Some patients were given clearance to stay on the fourth and fifth floors as the fire was being dealt with.

Gardai were also at the scene to put road diversions in place and there were brief disruptions to traffic on the North Circular Road.

The units from Phibsborough, North Strand and Tara Street headquarters attended the scene at 3.18pm after a member of staff rang the emergency services.

electrical

The DFB said on their Twitter page that a "small electrical fire was found by fire fighters in an operating theatre on level three of the public hospital".

The fire was contained shortly after 4pm, with officers venting the building.

The North Circular Road was re-opened shortly afterwards and staff and patients who had been evacuated were allowed back into the hospital by 4.30pm.

"Fires in an institutional building will normally have multiple units responding including ambulances & specialist appliances," the DFB added.

rschiller@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News