Film Board slashes Ifta funding after 2014 debacle
THE Irish Film Board (IFB) has slashed the funding for the upcoming Iftas by two thirds after last year's much-criticised production.
The IFB has granted the Irish Film and TV Awards just €30,000 compared to funding of €90,000 in 2014.
Technical problems blighted last year's ceremony, which was hosted by Laura Whitmore and Simon Delaney, attracting widespread criticism.
RTE subsequently dropped the show for this year and TV3 will now air coverage of the awards, but it won't be live.
An IFB review of the event was released to The Sunday Times under the Freedom of Information Act.
It criticised the poor sound quality and the problems with scripting which saw some celebs including Colin Farrell correcting it on the night.
It said that both the IFB and the state broadcaster had been caught up in the bad publicity during the event.
"This is the exact opposite effect that the IFB was looking to achieve to promote the work produced by the industry," the report read.
RTE distanced itself and called it an "Iftas-run affair" following poor reviews of the broadcast.
Noisy guests and the clinking of glass made it difficult to hear the presenters while the awards ran 25 minutes over schedule and resulting in awards being handed out after prime time viewing.
The CEO of the Iftas Aine Moriarty (left) told the Herald that this year's plans for a smaller ceremony that will not be broadcast live "took the burden of costs off the table".
This year's show will be broadcast on TV3 in two parts. A one-hour show will show the film and drama portion of the awards in May and a two-hour TV awards special will be screened in October.