herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Family of missing Becky 'devastated' after police say body parts are found

Missing Becky
Missing Becky

The family of missing teenager Becky Watts have spoken of their devastation at hearing that body parts have been found in the search for her.

Her distraught father, mother, stepmother, brother and grandparents have all spoken of their pain following the grim discovery made by detectives hunting for the 16-year-old.

They all spoke out as Avon and Somerset Police were granted an extra 24 hours to question a 28-year-old man and a 21-year-old woman on suspicion of murdering Becky.

Four other people - three men and a woman - were arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

heartbroken

"To receive such news as we did today about our dear daughter and stepdaughter Becky is too much to bear," said Becky's father and stepmother Darren and Anjie Galsworthy .

"We are devastated to be told of this latest development," said her mother Tania Watts, brother Daniel and grandmother Pat.

"We are at an utter loss to understand why anyone would want to hurt our beautiful Becky in such a brutal way.

"While people are in custody, none of whom are connected to the Watts family, we will not be making any further comment."

John Galsworthy, speaking on behalf of the Galsworthy family, paid tribute to Becky as a "wonderful" daughter, sister, granddaughter and niece.

"We are heartbroken at what has been discovered overnight," Mr Galsworthy said.

Becky disappeared from her home in Crown Hill, St George, Bristol, at around 11.15am on February 19.

She was reported missing at 4pm on February 20 and a large search operation involving six police teams each day was launched.

Yesterday, Det Supt Mike Courtiour said that information received by police late on Monday night led them to a house at Barton Court in the Barton Hill area of Bristol where body parts were found.

"The information suggested that Becky's body had been cut up and a search at the new location resulted in the discovery of body parts," he said.

As part of the investigation, four men, aged 29, 29, 23 and 23, have been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, along with a 23-year-old woman.

Police cordoned off Barton Court, yards from where forensic experts had been searching a property in Cotton Mill Lane, and erected a white tent at the front of a mid-terrace house.

Forensic teams collected rubbish and food waste bins earlier from properties around the Barton Court area.

A private ambulance was also seen arriving and then leaving Barton Court a short time later.

Tearful residents spoke of their horror at the discovery in the quiet cul-de-sac.

A 63-year-old grandmother, who would only give her name as Jen, said: "I am totally devastated and I can't stop shaking and I feel so, so sorry for the parents. That poor baby."

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News