Thursday 27 October 2016

Families evacuated over hoax pipe bomb


Several families were evacuated from their homes in Dublin before a controlled explosion was carried out on a suspect device.

The pipe bomb was placed outside the home of an innocent family at Cherry Orchard Avenue in Ballyfermot.

Gardai were called to the scene when the device was discovered.

Officers cordoned off a section of the residential street and evacuated a number of families.

An army bomb disposal team later carried out a controlled explosion on the device.

The area was "declared safe" at 2am yesterday, said a Defence Forces spokesman.


He said the device was examined and found to be "an elaborate hoax" that had been placed maliciously at the scene.

Gardai said the alarm was raised at 11pm on Saturday night. The device was "not viable" and the incident was under investigation, a spokesperson said.

Local councillor Daithi Doolan last night lashed out at the individuals who targeted the innocent family.

"Whoever had placed the device which caused the evacuation of families at such a late hour of the night had made an attack on the entire decent hard-working community of this area," said Cllr Doolan.

"Cherry Orchard is full of hard working families who want the best for themselves and their children," he said. "This reign of terror must be brought to an end. Gardai must be given adequate resources to tackle violent crime."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News