Dutch want cartel raid accused to face murder-bid charge
A Dutch man arrested in Dublin during a gardai raid on an alleged Kinahan cartel property should be sent back to the Netherlands to face prosecution for assault, attempted murder and money laundering, the High Court has heard.
The Amsterdam Public Prosecutor has issued three European Arrest Warrants (EAWs) for Naoufal Fassih (36), a Dutch citizen of Moroccan origin.
Ronan Kennedy, counsel for the Justice Minister, said the first offence relates to a violent assault at a Dutch nightclub on October 5, 2012.
The second charge relates to more than €10,000 in cash that Mr Fassih had on him when he was arrested in 2012. A third charge alleges that he was in possession of a false passport.
The warrant for the attempted murder charge was issued last September and relates to a botched assassination attempt on November 5, 2015.
Another EAW was issued after Mr Fassih's arrest at an apartment believed to belong to the Kinahan cartel on Dublin's Baggot Street in April last year.
Mr Kennedy said Mr Fassih was in possession of luxury watches worth more than €40,000, cash, mobile phones and "other items that can be linked to criminality".
Although the seizure was made in Dublin, Dutch authorities said they can adjudicate on Dutch citizens accused of crimes committed in other jurisdictions.
Representing Mr Fassih, John Byrne said there is no evidence linking him to the items seized at the Dublin apartment, other than that he was present when the raid took place.
He said that he could not be prosecuted in Ireland in those circumstances and therefore should not face extradition on those grounds.
Dealing with the other issues, he said the fact that Mr Fassih has already been acquitted by a court in Amsterdam on the assault charge means that the "precise nature" of the proceedings against him are not known.
On the attempted murder charge, he said it is not clear what the specific charge against Mr Fassih would be, as it is not alleged that he is the hitman.
Ms Justice Aileen Donnelly put the case back to next Thursday, February 2, for judgement.