Sunday 23 October 2016

Dublin man arrested in connection with €280m London jewellery heist


A DUBLIN plumber is one of eight men charged in connection with the daring €280m Hatton Garden jewellery heist.

Hugh Doyle (48), who works as a plumber in Enfield in London, has been remanded in custody over the raid that happened last month.

The massive heist resulted in criticism of police when it emerged that a call from a security firm on the night was deemed not necessary for a response.


Doyle, who said on his Facebook page that he is from the capital and went to Marian College in Dublin 4, was questioned yesterday after his arrest.

He is reported to be a partner in a heating and plumbing company in London.

Detectives from the Metropolitan Police's Flying Squad also charged Terry Perkins (67), Daniel Jones (58), also of Enfield, as well as William Lincoln (59), of Bethnal Green, east London, and John Collins (74), of Islington, north London.

Brian Reader (76) and Paul Reader (50), both of Dartford Road, Dartford, and Carl Wood (58), of Elderbeck Close, Cheshunt, also face the same charge.

All eight have been remanded in custody to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court today.

A ninth man has been bailed pending further inquiries.

The raid over the Easter weekend saw thieves break into the vault at Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Company in London's jewellery quarter.

Officers believe they entered the building, which houses a number of businesses, through a communal entrance before disabling the lift so they could climb down the lift shaft to the basement.

It is thought that they then forced open shutter doors and used a drill to bore a hole 20in deep, 10in high and 18in wide into the vault wall.

Once inside, the thieves ransacked 72 safety deposit boxes, taking millions of pounds worth of diamonds, gems and gold jewellery.

After facing criticism for the way the incident was handled, the Met Police apologised for deeming that a call from a security firm about an intruder alert shortly after midnight on Good Friday did not require a response.

Detectives issued the apology after confirming alarm response procedures had not been followed, but rejected suggestions they were bungling "keystone cops".


"On this occasion, the systems and processes that we have in place with the alarm companies weren't followed and, as a result of that, officers did not attend the premises when, in fact, they probably should have done and for that I want to apologise," said Commander Peter Spindler.

A more detailed investigation into the defeat of the alarm system is continuing.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News