Monday 24 October 2016

Diana horror attack suspect joked about vicious assault online

Diana Mongan, 17, shows her injuries
Diana Mongan, 17, shows her injuries
Diana Mongan, 17, with her injuries

ONE of the alleged attackers who left a teenager badly beaten in a Dublin park has joked about the assault on social media.

Diana Mongan (17) is this week recovering from the ordeal which occurred in Mountjoy Square Park on Friday night.

She was attacked by a group of two young women and three young men and left with serious injuries, including a fractured nose and severe bruising to her face and head in the attack.

Her tooth was chipped and her arms were left marked also.

Despite the seriousness of the incident, which left the Finglas teen drifting in and out of consciousness, one of those who is suspected of being involved later joked about it with pals on social media.

READ MORE: Gang tried to set teenage girl's hair on fire during horror attack in Dublin park

The injured teen has been asked to allow gardai access to her social media accounts as part of their investigation into the assault.

"It's like they were just laughing at her," Diana's distressed sister Emma told the Herald.

Screengrabs of the offending messages have been taken and will be passed on to gardai as evidence by the Mongan family.

Brave Diana spoke exclusively to the Herald this week about the ordeal in the hope it would help other people avoid the same fate.


"The next girl might not be so lucky," her mum Ellen said.

The attack took place at around 11.30pm when Diana was in the park with a group of friends. When some of the group left to go to the shop, she was attacked.

She was kicked repeatedly in the head and the assailants also tried to set her hair on fire when she was on the ground.

Her friend intervened in the incident by lying across her head in a bid to protect her. Diana's phone and some money were also taken in the vicious assault.

An ambulance was called to take her to hospital but she had to leave because she was followed out of the park.

"When I woke up and left the park, they followed me," she said. "We had to call two ambulances because I had to leave the area before the first one came."

Diana and her friends called another ambulance from Parnell Street. Following the incident Diana was having difficulty sleeping and was suffering from dizziness.

She revealed that she was reluctant to go into the city centre in case she was seen by her attackers. Gardai confirmed that the incident is still under investigation. Last night no arrests had been made in connection to the incident.

Related Content

Promoted articles

Entertainment News