Thug who brutally beat couple in horror bus attack faces sentencing
A Dublin man who carried out a prolonged violent attack on two people on a bus is to be sentenced next October.
Peter Harte (26) launched the assaults on the man and woman after a disagreement over seating. The attack lasted 10 minutes and involved head butting, kicking and punching.
Harte of Kildonan Road, Finglas, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Pedro Mendez and Gabriella Leon at Old Kilmainham Road, Dublin on July 24, 2014.
Harte’s 11 previous convictions are mainly for alcohol-related public order offences. He also has a conviction for robbery and an assault committed in May 2009.
At Dublin Circuit Criminal Court Judge Desmond Hogan adjourned sentencing to next October in order to establish if Harte was suitable for work in the community or for participating in the Restorative Justice Programme.
Garda Caroline Kelly told the court that the two victims were getting the bus home after a few social drinks in the city centre. Harte got on the bus and came straight over to where they were sitting on the top deck.
There were other free seats on the bus and Mr Mendez asked Harte: “Man, do you really want to sit beside us, there are so many free?”
Harte replied: “You don’t tell me where to sit, don’t fucking speak to me like that.”
Mr Mendez told gardai that he then went to move his belongings off the free seat beside him to let Harte sit down. The Portuguese national turned to speak to Ms Leon, who is Mexican and at this point Harte began kicking him in the head.
He grabbed Mr Mendez, got him into a headlock and said: “I’m going to kill you.”
The victim pleaded with him, saying: “Just let me go, I will get off the bus.”
Ms Leon described Harte’s attack as being like a boxer in a fight. She called gardai on the mobile phone but Harte continued the attack. Ms Leon began recording the attack on her phone and when Harte saw her doing this he swung at her.
He punched her face with a closed fist and continued punching her to the back of her head when she turned away.
Mr Mendez came to help her and she went downstairs but she was afraid to get off the bus in case Harte followed her.
Gda Kelly told Judge Hogan that the attack lasted 10 minutes. At one point Mr Mendez tried to apologise to his attacker, telling him: “I was rude, I apologise, I had a bad day.”
The bus driver had stopped the bus. Harte sat down for a while after the assault and then went downstairs and asked the driver why the bus was stopped.
Judge Hogan said this behaviour made it clear that Harte was “out of it”.
Harte then got off the bus and walked away. Gardai received confidential information after CCTV footage of the assaults was played on RTE’s Crimecall.
After this Harte contacted gardai and, after viewing the footage, he admitted carrying out the assaults.
Garda Kelly said the two victims, who had been living and working here for a number of years, do not want to continue living here as a result of the attack.
The defence said that his client had no memory of the incident and had taken a large amount of alcohol and non-prescribed tablets on the night.
He said Harte wished to apologise for his actions and knew the bad impact of them.
The court heard Mr Mendez believed Harte was going to kill him. He suffered blurred vision after the attack and had trouble chewing. He was also left with bruising to his body.