Sentencing of child sex abuse journalist is delayed
The sentencing of sports journalist Tom Humphries for the sexual exploitation and defilement of a child has been adjourned to October.
Humphries, who faces 10 years behind bars for his crimes, appeared before Dublin Circuit Criminal Court yesterday.
The former Irish Times writer pleaded guilty in March to six sexual offences against a girl under the age of 17.
Humphries (54), of Corr Castle, Sutton, pleaded guilty to two counts of defilement of a child in Dublin between December 5, 2010, and February 19, 2011, and four counts of inviting a child to participate in a sexually explicit, obscene or indecent act between January 2010 and March 2011.
He was due to stand trial in relation to three further charges involving a separate girl, but these charges were dropped by the prosecution last month.
Hugh Harnett, defending, told Judge Karen O'Connor that he was not in a position to proceed with the original sentence date of July 26.
He said further time was required in order to prepare a report in relation to his client.
Judge O'Connor adjourned the case to October 3.
No evidence has been heard yet regarding the circumstances of the offences. These details are expected to be disclosed at the sentencing hearing.
Mr Hartnett previously requested that his client be excused from further case management dates for health reasons. This was refused.
In March, Humphries admitted six charges when he was arraigned.
Two of the charges related to the accused engaging in a sexual act with a girl under the age of 17 on or about December 5, 2010, and February 19, 2011.
The sexual acts took place at an apartment in Dublin.
The other four charges admitted by Humphries were of sexually exploiting the same child by inviting her to engage or participate in a sexually explicit, indecent or obscene act on or about January 1, 2010, February 15, 2011, and March 4 and 18 the same year.
A number of other charges on the indictment are to be taken into account when he is being sentenced.