Sunday 23 October 2016

'Restorative justice' for ex-councillor who made threatening calls

Former councillor Killian Forde made 40 threatening calls Picture: Collins Dublin
Former councillor Killian Forde made 40 threatening calls Picture: Collins Dublin

A former Dublin city councillor who made hoax calls to a man and threatened that he would be "got" has been told to take part in a restorative justice programme.

Killian Forde made 40 calls consisting of "drunken gibberish" and threatening "adverse consequences" if the victim did not contact him.

Judge Patricia McNamara referred him to the programme and remanded him on continuing bail for three months.

She said she would look on the case "more favourably" when finalising it if the accused took part in the programme.


Forde (46) made all the phone calls in the middle of the night, between 12.30am and 6am.

He was a councillor with Sinn Fein from 2004 to 2010 before switching to Labour.

He resigned his seat on Dublin City Council in 2011 after he took up a job helping immigrants and refugees.

Forde, with addresses at Carndonagh Park in Donaghmede and Sutton Park in Sutton, admitted to making 40 hoax telephone calls.

The calls were placed over a six-hour period to a house at Homelawn Drive, Tallaght, on October 7, 2014.

Forde had pleaded guilty on an earlier date and the case was back before Tallaght District Court for the production of a probation report.

Gda Stephen Neylon said the victim received 40 phone calls and voice messages from the accused. "The messages were generally of a threatening nature, demanding that the injured party make contact with him and outlining there would be adverse consequences if the injured party didn't," said the officer.

Forde, who had no previous convictions, attended Tallaght Garda Station on October 10, 2014 and made a voluntary cautioned statement.

He was co-operative and indicated that he had been intoxicated at the time he made the calls, said Gda Neylon.

The case had adverse effects on Forde, who had expressed his remorse, said his barrister, George Burns.

Judge McNamara said Forde seemed to have co-operated fully and that the probation report was positive.

She said the case was suitable for restorative justice, which would involve the victim attending if he wished to do so.


"If that is a positive report, I can look a little bit more favourably on the case," the judge said.

She adjourned the matter to a date in December.

A sergeant previously alleged that the phone calls were mostly "drunken gibberish", but Forde also told a victim that "you'll be got".

Gda Neylon said on an earlier date in court that he began an investigation after the victim complained about receiving a number of nuisance phone calls.

He said the mobile phone number was registered to the defendant.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News