herald

Monday 5 December 2016

Parents on children neglect charges

Prosecutors have been given more time to prepare their case against a couple accused of keeping their three children in
Prosecutors have been given more time to prepare their case against a couple accused of keeping their three children in "deplorable" living conditions in their Dublin home. Photo: africa-studio.com/Olga Chernetska and Leonid Yastremskiy

Prosecutors have been given more time to prepare their case against a couple accused of keeping their three children in "deplorable" living conditions in their Dublin home.

The pair were charged after the family were allegedly found sleeping on dirty mattresses in their living room. Mould-covered food was within the children's reach, their bedrooms were unfit to be slept in and the toilet was a "serious health risk", it is alleged.

Neglecting

Judge David McHugh adjourned the case against the parents at Blanchardstown District Court. The judge was told the directions of the DPP were not yet available. Defence solicitor Simon Fleming said some disclosure was outstanding.

The accused were remanded on continuing bail to a date next month.

The children were taken into care earlier this year and their parents have been charged with wilfully neglecting each of them.

The man (37) and the woman (29) are charged with the alleged offences at a house in west Dublin on September 8, 2012. Previously, Sgt Maria Callaghan said the two accused were in the house at the time with their three children - two boys and a girl.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News